2021 Award Applications are NOW Open! Applications will close at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, February 8.
*Application best viewed using Google Chrome as your WebBrowser
*Creating a Submittable login
Please email SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com with any questions.
How to Apply
• Applications may be submitted online beginning Monday, January 11, 2021.
• In-progress applications may be saved and completed after initial login.
• To complete your application you will need:
- A one page (8 1/2 x 11) Activity Sheet
- A 150 word Impact Essay
- Employment information (optional)
• Complete and submit the online application no later than Monday, February 8, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
• Late Applications will not be accepted
The Buck Weirus Spirit Award honors 55 students each year who demonstrate high involvement, create positive experiences throughout the Aggie community, impact student life at Texas A&M and enhance the Aggie Spirit. Unlike other awards, the Buck Weirus Spirit Award recognizes those students who make contributions to the university through participation in student organizations, Aggie traditions and university events.
The Buck Weirus Spirit Award, named for Richard "Buck" Weirus '42, recognizes students for their outstanding contributions to student life programs at Texas A&M University. Weirus served as executive director of The Association of Former Students from 1964 to 1980. Because of his unique leadership, vision, and support of student involvement, this award was established by The Association's Board of Directors in 1982 in his honor.
About Richard "Buck" Weirus '42 & the Buck Weirus Spirit Award
The Association of Former Students
Served: 1964 - 1980
Buck received a bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering in 1942. He served as President of the San Antonio A&M Club before returning to Aggieland to lead The Association of Former Students. Under Buck's leadership, the Century Club was created. He guided The Association through some of the university's most difficult years, often serving as the voice of reason and reassurance to both university administrators and former students as Texas A&M underwent sweeping changes. Throughout it all, Buck remained the eternal Aggie optimist and ambassador of the Aggie Spirit. Because of his unique leadership, vision and support of student involvement, the Buck Weirus Spirit Award was established by The Association of Former Students in 1982 to recognize students' contributions to student life. This coveted award honors up to 55 students every year who demonstrate high involvement, create positive experiences throughout the Aggie community, impact student life at Texas A&M and enhance the Aggie Spirit.
If you have any questions or concerns, please send us an email at SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com.
Applications may be submitted beginning Monday, January 11. All applications must be submitted by Monday, February 8 at 11:59 p.m..
* Please Note: Any questions received after 5:00 p.m. on the Monday of the application deadline, will not be answered until the following business day - AFTER the Buck Weirus Spirit Award application has closed. If you have any questions about the application process, or have any technical questions about the application webpage, please email SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com BEFORE 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 8.
• Selection is not based on academic records but applicants are required to have a cumulative minimum 2.25 GPR for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students
• Students must be in and remain in good academic and disciplinary standing with Texas A&M University
• Students may only receive the Buck Weirus Spirit Award once.
• Students must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate for Levels 1-3 and as a graduate or professional student for Level 4 in a degree-seeking program at Texas A&M-College Station, Texas A&M College of Law, a Texas A&M Health Science Center Entity, or Texas A&M-Galveston
Texas A&M at Qatar students are also eligible for this award, but are selected through a process directed by the Student Affairs team in Doha. For information about the TAMUQ Buck Weirus Spirit Award process, please email Miguel Trevino.
The criteria for which level you are eligible is the number of full semesters (non-summer semesters) completed at Texas A&M as of January 1, 2021. Transferred semesters are not included in the total count.
• Level 1: 2 or 3 Undergraduate TAMU semesters completed
• Level 2: 4 or 5 Undergraduate TAMU semesters completed
• Level 3: 6 or more Undergraduate semesters completed
• Level 4: Graduate/Professional students
* Please Note: No awards will be given to students having completed only one long semester at Texas A&M University.
• If you are a 3+2 student, your first eight semesters count toward the undergraduate levels. During your ninth and tenth semesters you will need to classify yourself as a graduate student.
• If you are enrolled in Blinn Team, your semesters count the same as if you were only enrolled at TAMU.
• In the event of the need to clarify an eligibility requirement the, Buck Weirus Steering Committee will review the circumstances.
Questions should be directed to SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com.
The Selection Process
• Applicants' names remain anonymous during the selection process.
The applications are reviewed by a committee composed of faculty, staff and students appointed by the Buck Weirus Committee Chair.
• Only the recipients' names will be publicized.
How to Get Help
• The Association of Former Students and the Department of Student Activities will present a virtual application workshop recording that will be available on this page, or by visiting tx.ag/BuckWeirusWorkshop.
• The Association of Former Students and the Department of Student Activities will also host online application review. Individual appointment sign-up options will be available beginning January 11 at tx.ag/ApplicationReview.
* View sample Activity Sheet examples, both good and bad, as well as sample Impact Essays. For a detailed review of these resources, please watch the virtual Buck Weirus Workshop - Available on this page beginning January 11.
• For questions related to Submittable, the online application platform, please visit submittable.com/help/submitter/ for technical support
• Please direct any questions via email to SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com.
Award Notification Process
• All applicants will be notified of the results via email. Email notification will be sent to the email address provided during application submission. All email notifications will be sent prior to, or during, the week beginning March 15.
• The Association of Former Students and the Department of Student Activities plan to honor all award recipients at the Buck Weirus Spirit Awards Ceremony during Family Weekend. We are monitoring State and County recommendations regarding COVID-19 protocols, and are prepared to make adjustments to the ceremony as needed. We plan to have a final decision regarding Buck Weirus Spirit Award Ceremony plans confirmed by March 1.
Previous Buck Weirus Spirit Award Recipients