Applications for the 2017 award are now CLOSED
All applications for the 2017 Buck Weirus Spirit Award must have been submitted by January 30, 2017 to be considered during the selection process.
Please email SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com with any questions.
The Buck Weirus Spirit Award honors up to 55 students each year who demonstrate high INVOLVEMENT, create positive EXPERIENCES throughout the Aggie community, IMPACT student life at Texas A&M and enhance the Aggie SPIRIT. Unlike other awards,the Buck Weirus Spirit Award recognizes those students who make contributions to the university through participation in student organizations, Aggie traditions and university events.
The Buck Weirus Spirit Award, named for Richard "Buck" Weirus '42, recognizes students for their outstanding contributions to student life programs at Texas A&M University. Mr. Weirus served as Executive Director of The Association of Former Students from 1964 to 1980. Because of his unique leadership, vision, and support of student involvement, this award was established by The Association's Board of Directors in 1982 in his honor.
If you have any questions or concerns, please send us an email at SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com.
Applications may be submitted on January 2nd through January 30th. All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 30, 2017.
* Please Note: Any questions received after 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 30, 2017, will not be answered until the following business day - AFTER the Buck Weirus Spirit Award application has closed. If you have any questions about the application process, or have any technical questions about the application webpage, please email SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com BEFORE 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 30, 2016.
• Selection is not based on academic records but applicants are required to have a cumulative minimum 2.25 GPR for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students
• Students must be in and remain in good academic and disciplinary standing with Texas A&M University
• Students may only receive the Buck Weirus Spirit Award once.
• Students must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate for Levels 1-3 and as a graduate or professional student for Level 4 in a degree-seeking program at Texas A&M-College Station, Texas A&M College of Law, a Texas A&M Health Science Center Entity, or Texas A&M-Galveston
Texas A&M at Qatar students are also eligible for this award, but are selected through a process directed by the Student Affairs team in Doha. For information about the TAMUQ Buck Weirus Spirit Award process, please email Erin Wehrenberg.
The criteria for which level you are eligible is the number of full semesters (non-summer semesters) completed at Texas A&M as of January 1, 2017. Transferred semesters are not included in the total count.
• Level 1 - 2 or 3 Undergraduate TAMU semesters completed
• Level 2 - 4 or 5 Undergraduate TAMU semesters completed
• Level 3 - 6 or more Undergraduate semesters completed
• Level 4 - Graduate/Professional students
* Please Note: No awards will be given to students having completed only one long semester at Texas A&M University.
• If you are a 3/2 student, your first eight semesters count toward the undergraduate levels. During your ninth and tenth semesters you will need to classify yourself as a graduate student.
• If you are enrolled in Blinn Team, your semesters count the same as if you were only enrolled at TAMU.
• If you have studied abroad, participated in Co-Op, or completed an internship then do not count those semesters that you were gone.
• In the event of the need to clarify an eligibility requirement the, Buck Weirus Steering Committee will review the circumstances.
Questions should be directed to SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com.
The Selection Process
The applications are reviewed by a committee composed of faculty, staff and students appointed by the Buck Weirus Committee Chair.
• Applicants' names remain anonymous during the selection process.
• Only the recipients' names will be publicized.
How to Get Help
View Workshop PowerPoint
* Please Note: Sample Activity Sheets and Impact Essays are only available for review at a Workshop. Examples will not be shared online.
• The Association of Former Students and the Department of Student Activities host application workshops.
* Please Note: The workshop presentation will only last about 1 hour, with time after for questions.
Application Workshop 1
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Application Workshop 2
Thursday, January 19, 2017
Application Workshop 3
Monday, January 23, 2017
Application Workshop 4
January 24, 2017
• Please direct any questions via email to SpiritAward@AggieNetwork.com.
How to Apply
• Applications may be submitted online beginning January 2, 2017.
• Complete and submit the online application no later than Monday, January 30, 2017, at 11:59 p.m.
• Late Applications will not be accepted
Award Notification Process
• All applicants will be notified of the results via email. Email notification will be sent to the email address provided during application submission. All email notifications will be sent during the week of March 9.
• Recipients will be honored at the Buck Weirus Spirit Awards Ceremony on Parents' Weekend.
Previous Buck Weirus Spirit Award Recipients