Account Benefits

"Find an Aggie" Online Directory

HireAggies Career Services Email Addresses

Korean War Veterans May Apply For Ambassador Of Peace Medal

Annika Roberts '22 December 3, 2021 4:22 PM updated: December 8, 2021 3:46 PM

Ambassador of Peace Medal - Photo courtesy of Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs
Ambassador of Peace Medal - Photo courtesy of Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs

Do you know a Korean War veteran? He or she may be eligible to receive the Ambassador for Peace medal. Awarded by the Republic of South Korea, this medal expresses the country's appreciation for Americans who served in the Korean War.

Originally, the Ambassador for Peace medal was given to veterans who traveled to South Korea, as part of the country's "Revisit Program." Since then, the country has chosen to expand eligibility to include American veterans regardless of location.

This medal may be awarded posthumously if the veteran's next of kin chooses to apply.

The full eligibility criteria are as follows, as per the Korean War Veterans Association:

  1. To be eligible, the veterans must have served during the Korean War from June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. It is also available for the veterans who have participated in UN peacekeeping operations until the end of 1955.
  2. The commemorative medals may be awarded posthumously. However, please understand that the highest priority for presenting the medal is given to veterans who are currently surviving in the United States of America. The next of kin, such as the spouse or descendants may apply for the medal on behalf of a deceased veteran.
  3. In order to apply for this commemorative medal, veterans or their family members have to complete the application form. Application form is listed below and can also be obtained contacting one of the Korean Consulates listed on pages 3 – 6 of this correspondence. Veterans need to provide a copy of their DD214 or Discharge papers from Active Duty along with their application form for verification purpose.
  4. Please send your completed application form to the Defense Attaché Office, Embassy of the Republic of Korea or to one of the Republic of Korea Consulates. If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact the Defense Attaché Office at the Embassy of the Republic of Korea or one of the Republic of Korea's consulates located in the United States.

 The application form may be accessed here.


Your donations allow The Association of Former Students to collect and share Texas A&M-related news with thousands of Aggies. Thank you! You can make a gift of any amount at

comments powered by Disqus

505 George Bush Drive
College Station, TX 77840

Phone Number

(979) 845-7514

© 2022 The Association of Former Students of Texas A&M University, All Rights Reserved