Texas A&M President's Weekly Message To The A&M Community
Scot Walker '90
December 4, 2013 4:47 PM
December 4, 2013
Howdy from your President!
* This week's email is a bit earlier than usual because we want to spread the word about the public hearing in Rudder Forum at 3 p.m. today to discuss our tuition and fee plans for the upcoming academic year. I will attend, along with experts to answer questions
from those attending or sent to email@example.com. You can watch the live webcast on Channel 9 at
* Two ways to celebrate the season: The Holiday Spirit of Aggieland concert, featuring the Century Singers, Women's Chorus, and Singing Cadets, will be Sunday at 3 p.m. in Rudder Auditorium. Music selections will range from your favorite holiday songs and traditional
carols to the combined performance of the Hallelujah Chorus. Tickets are $5 in advance or $8 at the door. For more information, contact the MSC Box Office at 845-1234 or go to
http://boxoffice.tamu.edu/. In addition, next Monday, December 9, we will have our annual Holiday Reception for faculty and staff from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Bethancourt Ballroom in the MSC. See you
* The National Science Foundation has been authorized to enter into a cooperative agreement under which Texas A&M will continue managing the International Ocean Discovery Program and operating its scientific deep-ocean research vessel, JOIDES Resolution. The
new agreement could be as high as $250 million, with the international community possibly contributing another $87.5 million. The full story is at
* The Texas A&M Press has declared tomorrow "Mary Lenn Dixon Day" to honor Ms. Dixon on her upcoming retirement following more than 35 years of distinguished service, notably as editor-in-chief. You can wish her well at the open house from 2 to 5 p.m. tomorrow
at the Press building (on Lewis Street, between Duncan Dining Hall and George Bush Drive) and find out more about the press at
* I am honored to be the Commencement Convocation speaker next Thursday, December 12 (5:30 p.m. in Rudder Auditorium), as our graduating students, as well as Karin and I, close the current chapter of our lives at Texas A&M. In addition, the campus community
is invited to my farewell reception from 9 to 11 a.m. next Thursday in Rudder Exhibit Hall, with remarks at 10 a.m.
* Speaking of commencement, all active duty, National Guard, Reserve and U.S. military veterans who served honorably can receive and/or wear a red, white and blue cord at the graduation ceremony. These cords represent our appreciation for our military/veteran
students. Veterans and their guests are invited to the Aggie Military/Veteran Reception, 3:30 to 5 p.m. next Wednesday, December 11, in the Stark Galleries on the first floor of the MSC, where graduating students can get their cords. Please contact Debbie
Pack if you plan to attend, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Friday.